Pole screen. Mahogany, brass. From the John Hancock House. Curved tripod legs, pad feet, brass screen fittings.
Centennial Acquisitions Exhibiton, October 22nd-23rd, 30th-31st, 2010: In 1863, when the John Hancock House was demolished, Hancocks descendants gave some of their familys furnishings to friends as mementoes. This pole screen, originally used to protect peoples faces from the heat of a fireplace, was one such piece. Historic New Englands founder, William Sumner Appleton, described the demolition of the Hancock House as "a classic in the annals of vandalism."
- Associated Building
- Original To John Hancock House (Boston, Mass.).
- Object type
Beacon Hill (Boston, Suffolk county, Massachusetts) [neighborhood]
Massachusetts (United States)
Possibly England (United Kingdom) [country]
- Descriptive terms
- People and organizations
Bourgeault, Ronald, Mr.
Hancock, John, 1737-1793
- 53 1/4 x 14 3/4 (HxW) (inches)
- Accession Number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Ronald Bourgeault
- Related Items
Title Handwritten history Accession number 2010.3.1.2 Relationship Accompanying letter with handwritten history of object.