Skip to content

Search Collections

Everett-Appleton House, Dorchester, Mass., 1872

Description

Exterior view of the house with people sitting and standing in front.

You can find this within:

Details

Collection Name
General photographic collection
Collection Code
PC001
Dates
1872
Acquisition Type
Gift
Date of Acquisition
1926-02-1911
Physical Description
1 photographic print : albumen, mounted and matted ; 13 3/8 x 10 1/2 inches
Inscriptions
A.H. Folsom, photographer
Office 34 Bromfield St., Boston (stamped)
The Appleton house on Pleasant Street, Dorchester, Mass. Photographed in the early spring of 1872. The house was built by Rev. Moses Everett about 1779. (handwritten)
[page affixed to back in ink]

Everett/Appleton House

On the westerly side of Pleasant Street, between Stoughton Street and Savin Hill Avenue, Dorchester, Massachusetts -the northerly side of the house, showing the side entrance door, facing the driveway - photograph taken in March or April, 1872 - over the shed to the top left is seen the stable and carriage house of the Amory house which faced Pleasant Street on the next lot to the north.

The Everett/Appleton house was built about the year 1779 by the Rev. Moses Everett, pastor of the First Parish Church (on Meeting House Hill), Dorchester. - Mr. Everett was the uncle of Edward Everett, who was born in a somewhat similar house, built at about the same date, at Five Corners (Edward Everett Square), Dorchester. - After the death of Moses Everett (in 1813) his widow occupied the house until her death, after which it went to his son, Francis Everett, who with his family lived there until his death in 1835. That same year his estate sold the house to Nathaniel Walker Appleton of Boston, the son of Nathaniel Walker Appleton, the first secretary of the Massachusetts Medical Society. -

Mr. Appleton (1783-1848), with his family, occupied the house until his death in 1848, after which his wife (with her daughter, Emily) continued to live there until her death, January 1, 1887. - The house then became the property of Mr. Appleton's son, Francis Parker Appleton (1822-1903) and was occupied by Henry Miles Knowles and his family (Mrs. Knowles was Alice Leslie Appleton, daughter of F.P.A.) for three or four years - then by other tenants, until its sale, with much of the land about it, in 1908, to the City of Boston, which took down the house and erected upon its site the Edward Everett School.

The story of the house between the years 1779 and 1835 (given above) is from a letter of Miss Emeline A. Everett (daughter of Francis Everett) written about the year 1885, to Mr. Francis P. Appleton. - It was obtained by her from records in the possession of her cousin, Miss Ann Everett. (handwritten)
Gift of Mr. Wm. C. Appleton of Cohasset, 11 Feb. 1926.

For guide to persons, see Everett-Appleton house, Dorchester folder, letter size. (handwritten)
Dimensions
10 1/2x 13 3/8(HxW) (inches)
Collection Type
Photographs
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
Oversize photograph number: OVP0183
GUSN
221413
Reference Code
PC001.01.TMP.183

Record details

Originator
Folsom, A. H. (Augustine H.), 1800-1910 (Photographer)
Descriptive Terms
exterior views
group portraits
Material Type
albumen prints
photographs
Places
Dorchester (Boston, Suffolk county, Massachusetts) [neighborhood]
Notes
Date: Spring 1872
Location Note
OVP L10

Browse Collection

Use the links below to browse up and down the collection hierarchy from the current record.

Comments