Frank Tingley architectural collection
The Frank Tingley architectural collection includes ink wash and watercolor drawings of various obelisks, statuary, memorials, memorial furniture, and mausoleums. Designs include the Lapham memorial (1880s), Jillson memorial, John S. Tripp, Jr., memorial. Most designs refer to specific families or individuals.
- Collection Name
- Frank Tingley architectural collection
- Collection Code
- Physical Description
ca. 97 items
- Collection Type
- Architectural and Cartographic Materials
- Description Level
- Reference Code
Frank Foster Tingley was born in Providence in 1844 into a family with a long history in the marble business. After a public school education, he began studying architecture in 1862 in Alpheus Morse's office, which produced many designs for mortuary monuments. Tingley studied with Morse for two years, then worked for James Bucklin and Alfred Stone before going into business with his father from 1869 to 1872. After practicing architecture on his own between 1873 and 1874, he returned to the monument business as an agent and head of design for the Smith Granite Co. of Westerly, Rhode Island until 1883. In the years following, he concentrated on the design of monuments and maintained offices in Providence and Boston. Although the latter office closed earlier, the remaining Providence office provided designs for monuments after Tingley's death in 1921. Successors to Tingley's office were A. W. Frazier, F. B. Grover, C. E. Bly, and A. Del Guidici of Providence.
Tingley also designed the Kent & Stanley Manufacturers Building (1892) and the Phillipsdale Bleachery. The greatest concentration of his work may be found in Swan Point Cemetery, Providence.
Source: William H. Jordy and Christopher P. Monkhouse, "Buildings on Paper" (1982), p. 235.
Tingley, Frank Foster, 1844-1921
- Descriptive Terms
obelisks (monumental pillars)
tombstones (sepulchral monuments)
- Material Type
architectural drawings (visual works)
Providence (Providence county, Rhode Island)