Skip to content

Search Collections

Tremont Theatre, Boston, Mass.

PC001.03.01.TMP.138 (RS31402)

Description

The New York architectural firm J. B. McElfatrick & Son designed the Tremont Theatre, which opened in 1889 and was located at 179 Tremont Street in Boston, Massachusetts. In April of 1907, Marc Klaw and Abraham Erlanger and the Shubert Brothers, New York theatrical impresarios, formed a new vaudeville circuit called the United States Amusement Company, also known as Advanced Vaudeville. The partners disbanded Advanced Vaudeville in February 1908. At the time, Klaw & Erlanger owned the Tremont Theatre. In 1947, the Tremont Theatre was remodeled and renamed the Astor Theatre. After a fire in 1983, the building was demolished.

You can find this within:

Details

Collection Name
General photographic collection
Collection Code
PC001
Dates
1907-1908
Date Notes
Postmarked: August 5, 1911.
Acquisition Type
Gift
Date of Acquisition
1925-05-08
Physical Description
1 postcard
Collection Type
Photographs
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
Other identifier: PC00003-T
GUSN
201660
Reference Code
PC001.03.01.TMP.138

Record details

Other Organizations
Klaw & Erlanger
United States Amusement Company
Descriptive Terms
events
marquees
theaters (buildings)
Material Type
photographs
picture postcards
Subjects
Tremont Street (Boston, Mass.)
Vaudeville
Places
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
Places (Buildings)
Tremont Theatre (1889-1983 : Boston, Mass.)
Location Note
Postcards - Geo - Massachusetts - Boston - Tremont Theatre.

Browse Collection

Use the links below to browse up and down the collection hierarchy from the current record.

Comments