Skip to content

Search Collections

The Gee-Gray House

GC002.01.MA.3850.016 (RS98093)

Description

"This building stands on Prince Street, at the corner of Lafayette Avenue. It was probably built by the Reverend Gee; at all events it belonged to him when he died, in 1750. This house was used as a military hospital during the occupation of Boston by the British troops, especially after the Battle of Bunker Hill.

"It was later noted for having been the residence of Capt. Wm. Gray, who was a noted ship-owner, and who built Gray's Wharf. It is now in a dilapidated condition, and will probably soon disappear." From "Homes of Our Forefathers in Boston, Old England and Boston, New England" by Edwin Whitefield, 1889.

Details

Collection Name
Prints and engravings collection, 1830s-1920s
Collection Code
GC002
Physical Description
1 colored engraving
Dimensions
3.25x 4.5(HxW) (inches)
Collection Type
Graphic Materials
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
Prints and Engravings Collection number: PR317
GUSN
198768
Reference Code
GC002.01.MA.3850.016

Record details

Originator
Whitefield, Edwin, 1816-1892 (Author)
Descriptive Terms
historic sites
houses
Material Type
line engravings (prints)
prints (visual works)
Places
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
Location Note
Prints: Boston, Ma.: Places or Streets: O-Z
Physical Access Restrictions
Good

Comments