Skip to content

Search Collections

Removal of incline, Cambridge St.

PC017.02.TMP.039 (RS18131)

Description

Workers are engaged in the process of removing the Cambridge Street incline of the East Boston tunnel extension. Originally built in 1914-1916, as part of the subway continuation to Scollay Square, the Cambridge Street incline was closed in 1954. The front wall and gate of the Harrison Gray Otis House at 141 Cambridge Street is visible in the distance. The New England Telephone and Telegraph Company building stands over Bowdoin Square in the background.

You can find this within:

Details

Collection Name
Boston Transit Archive, 1895-1960s
Collection Code
PC017
Dates
1952-11-12
Physical Description
1 photograph
Collection Type
Photographs
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
Digital IDs: tra00031.1
GUSN
198718
Reference Code
PC017.02.TMP.039

Record details

Descriptive Terms
commercial buildings
office buildings
streetscapes
subways
tunnels
Material Type
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs
Subjects
Cambridge Street (Boston, Mass.)
West End (Boston, Mass.)
Places
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
Places (Buildings)
Harrison Gray Otis House, First House (Boston, Mass.)
New England Telephone and Telegraph Company Building (Boston, Mass.)
Location Note
Cheney Transit Negatives

Browse Collection

Use the links below to browse up and down the collection hierarchy from the current record.

Comments