Skip to content

Search Collections

The Triangular Building or Warehouse

GC002.01.MA.2700.001 (RS97527)

Description

"The triangular building recently taken down, was situated at a short distance from Faneuil Hall, and at the northeast of the vacant space around it. It made a corner of an avenue from Market Square to Ann Street. The land was granted to Governor Bellingham about 1640. The building was forty-eight feet by fifty. It was of brick, and covered with slate. The lower story was arched with several doors and windows. There was a tower in the centre and at each end of the building. The tradition is, that this building was anciently a custom-house; another account is, that it was built by London merchants in 1700, for a place to store the goods sent by them to Boston for the New England market. It was long a place of considerable business, and the public scales were formerly kept there."

You can find this within:

Details

Collection Name
Prints and engravings collection, 1830s-1920s
Collection Code
GC002
Dates
1850
Acquisition Type
Gift
Date of Acquisition
1918-11-01
Physical Description
1 line engraving (news)
Dimensions
4.5x 6.5(HxW) (inches)
Collection Type
Graphic Materials
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
Prints and Engravings Collection Number: PR118
Credit Line
Gift of Mrs. J.W. Perkins, 1918
GUSN
198469
Reference Code
GC002.01.MA.2700.001

Record details

Descriptive Terms
business (commercial function)
storage
towers (building divisions)
warehouses
Material Type
line engravings (prints)
prints (visual works)
Subjects
North Market Street (Boston, Mass.)
Places
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
Location Note
Prints: Boston, Ma.: N. Market Street
Physical Access Restrictions
Fair

Browse Collection

Use the links below to browse up and down the collection hierarchy from the current record.

Comments