Skip to content

Search Collections

Julien's, Milk Street and Triangular Warehouse, Town Dock

GC002.01.MA.2700.002 (RS97529)

Description

Handwritten on verso for the Triangular Warehouse: "...stood opposite the 'swing bridge' on the border of the 'Town Dock' now corner of Merchant's Row and North Market St. A wooden warehouse on the same lot built in 1650 was burned in 1679. The brick building was erected in 1680 and occupied by London Merchants. Afterwards used for storage and sail lofts. It was bought in 1784 by Saml. Wallis and sold to Chas. Miller in 1793, then to the City of Boston in 1824 when it was taken down." Handwritten on verso for Julien's Restorator: "Erected about 1750 on Milk St. opposite Federal St. Was kept by 'Mons. Jean Baptiste Gilbert Payplat, dis Julien' as a restaurant. It became famous and was extensively patronized by the elite of Boston. The building was taken down in 1824."

You can find this within:

Details

Collection Name
Prints and engravings collection, 1830s-1920s
Collection Code
GC002
Dates
1824
Acquisition Type
Gift
Date of Acquisition
1920-03-12
Physical Description
1 line engraving
Dimensions
3.5x 4.5(HxW) (inches)
Collection Type
Graphic Materials
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
Prints and Engravings Collection Number: PR118
Credit Line
Gift of Miss Elizabeth Perkins, 1920
GUSN
198467
Reference Code
GC002.01.MA.2700.002

Record details

Originator
Bowen, Abel, 1790-1850 (Printer)
Dearborn, Nathaniel, 1786-1852 (Engraver)
Descriptive Terms
restaurants
storage
towers (building divisions)
warehouses
Material Type
engravings (prints)
prints (visual works)
Subjects
Milk Street (Boston, Mass.)
North Market Street (Boston, Mass.)
Places
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
Notes
Engraved for The History of Boston, Abel Bowen, Print.
Location Note
Prints: Boston, Ma.: N. Market Street
Physical Access Restrictions
Poor

Browse Collection

Use the links below to browse up and down the collection hierarchy from the current record.

Comments