Skip to content

Search Collections

Exterior view of the African Meetinghouse, Boston, Mass., 1935

PC001.02.01.USMA.0340.7300.002 (RS19897)

Description

A sign in Hebrew letters and in English on the wall of the African Meetinghouse, located on Smith Court in Boston Massachusetts, indicates that the building is the synagogue of the Congregation Libavitz. "At the end of the 19th century, when the black community began to migrate from the West End to the South End and Roxbury, the building was sold to a Jewish congregation. It served as a synagogue until it was acquired by the Museum of African American History in 1972" (Museum of African American History website). A cat sits on the wall facing the sidewalk.

Details

Collection Name
General photographic collection
Collection Code
PC001
Dates
1935
Physical Description
1 photographic print : black-and-white
Collection Type
Photographs
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
DigitalID: 001510
AccessID: 2431
Other identifier: HNEDID-001510
GUSN
196562
Reference Code
PC001.02.01.USMA.0340.7300.002

Record details

Originator
Haskell, Arthur C. (Arthur Cushman), 1890-1968 (Photographer)
Other Organizations
Congregation Libavitz
Descriptive Terms
exterior views
meeting houses (religious buildings)
religious buildings
synagogues (buildings)
Material Type
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs
Subjects
African Americans
Architectural photography
Jews United States
Smith Court (Boston, Mass.)
Places
Beacon Hill (Boston, Suffolk county, Massachusetts) [neighborhood]
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
Places (Buildings)
African Meetinghouse (Boston, Mass.)
Location Note
Geo.: Large: Mass.: Boston: Smith Court: Unmounted

Comments