Skip to content

Search Collections

House of the Good Shepherd, Roxbury, Mass., undated

PC001.02.01.USMA.2540.0040.001 (RS305)

Description

An exterior view of the four-story brick House of the Good Shepherd convent and reformatory for girls on Tremont Street (later, 841 Huntington Avenue) opposite Parker Hill in Roxbury, Massachusetts. The view is from a curve in Tremont Street. A high fence surrounds the complex. A horse and carriage is parked at the front gate. The Sisters of the Good Shepherd operated the institution which moved from the Eustis House in Roxbury to this site, which was purchased in 1870. The cornerstone was laid on Dec. 8, 1870 on the former Brigham Estate, and the doors were opened in July 1871. In the early 1960s, Harvard Medical School purchased the site for the expansion of its campus and later with the Roxbury Tenants of Harvard Association built the housing complex, Mission Park, which occupies the site today.

Details

Collection Name
General photographic collection
Collection Code
PC001
Physical Description
1 photograph
Collection Type
Photographs
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
DigitalID: 000305
AccessID: 482
Other identifier: HNEDID-000305
GUSN
195161
Reference Code
PC001.02.01.USMA.2540.0040.001

Record details

Other Organizations
Sisters of the Good Shepherd
Descriptive Terms
Roman Catholicism
brick (clay product)
convents (nunneries)
education
exterior views
fences
girls
mounting
niches
outdoor sculpture
reformatories (buildings)
Material Type
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs
Subjects
Architectural photography
Huntington Avenue (Boston, Mass.)
Mission Hill (Roxbury, Boston, Mass.)
Tremont Street (Boston, Mass.)
Places
Roxbury (Boston, Suffolk county, Massachusetts) [neighborhood]
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
Location Note
Large - Massachusetts - Roxbury - Modern - Mounted

Comments