Skip to content

Search Collections

Main room of the Whitfield House, first floor, restored, looking north

PC001.02.01.USCT.0770.0050.004 (RS267)

Description

An interior view looking north of the main room on the first floor of the Henry Whitfield House, now the Henry Whitfield State Museum, in Guilford, Connecticut, after the restoration directed by architect John Frederick Kelly in the 1930s. The Puritan leader Henry Whitfield built the stone house in 1639. A large fireplace fills almost the entire end wall. The floor is constructed with wide boards. The low ceiling is supported by massive exposed beams.

You can find this within:

Details

Collection Name
General photographic collection
Collection Code
PC001
Date Notes
1937
Physical Description
1 photograph
Collection Type
Photographs
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
DigitalID: 000267
AccessID: 427
Other identifier: HNEDID-000267
GUSN
195109
Reference Code
PC001.02.01.USCT.0770.0050.004

Record details

Other People
Kelly, J. Frederick (John Frederick), 1888-1947
Whitfield, Henry, 1597-1660?
Other Organizations
Henry Whitfield State Museum (Conn.)
Descriptive Terms
American Colonial
beam ceilings
beams (structural elements)
fireplaces
granite (rock)
halls (interior spaces)
interior views
interior walls
restoration (process)
single-family dwellings
Material Type
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs
Subjects
Architectural photography
floors, wooden
stone houses
Places
Guilford (New Haven county, Connecticut)
Places (Buildings)
Henry Whitfield State Museum (Conn.)
Location Note
Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield

Comments