Skip to content

Search Collections

Four exterior views of the Old Witch / Corwin House, North and Essex Sts., Salem

PC001.02.01.USMA.2570.1520.001 (RS143)

Description

This is a composite of four exterior views of the Jonathan Corwin House, also known as the Witch House, at 310 1/2 Essex Street in Salem, Massachusetts. Jonathan Corwin served as a magistrate and judge during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. The first image is a reproduction of an 1819 Samuel Bartoll painting, the original of which is in the Peabody Essex Museum. The second is a pre-1868 photograph of the house remodeled with the gambrel roof, which was done in 1746 by the widow of Corwin's grandson. The third image is probably a view of the back of the house. The fourth image is of the single-floor apothecary shop George P. Farrington added to the house around 1856.

Details

Collection Name
General photographic collection
Collection Code
PC001
Physical Description
1 photomechanical print
Collection Type
Photographs
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
DigitalID: 000143
AccessID: 364
Other identifier: HNEDID-000143
GUSN
195050
Reference Code
PC001.02.01.USMA.2570.1520.001

Record details

Other People
Andrew, Daniel
Bartoll, Samuel, 1786-1837
Corwin, Jonathan, 1640-1718
Farrington, George P.
Descriptive Terms
American Colonial
backs (portions)
commercial buildings
drugstores
exterior views
façades
frame construction
front (positional attribute)
gable roofs
gambrel roofs
pharmacists
rear
side (positional attribute)
single-family dwellings
storefronts
Material Type
photographs
photomechanical prints
Subjects
Architectural photography
Essex Street (Salem, Mass.)
North Street (Salem, Mass.)
Places
Salem (Essex county, Massachusetts)
Places (Buildings)
Witch House (Salem, Mass.)
Location Note
Geo.: Large: Mass.: Salem: Witch / Corwin House: Mounted.

Comments