Skip to content

Search Collections

Exterior view of the Old Witch / Corwin House, North and Essex Sts., Salem

PC001.02.01.USMA.2570.1510.001 (RS142)

Description

This exterior view shows the Jonathan Corwin House, also known as the Witch House, at 310 1/2 Essex Street in Salem, Massachusetts. Jonathan Corwin served as a magistrate and judge during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. Corwin's grandson's widow remodeled the house with a gambrel roof in 1746 and George P. Farrington added a single-floor apothecary shop around 1856, which Jesse F. Upton and Frank H. Frisbee bought and operated from 1895 to 1940.

Details

Collection Name
General photographic collection
Collection Code
PC001
Date Notes
ca. 1900-1912
Physical Description
1 photomechanical print
Collection Type
Photographs
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
DigitalID: 000142
AccessID: 363
Other identifier: HNEDID-000142
GUSN
195049
Reference Code
PC001.02.01.USMA.2570.1510.001

Record details

Other People
Andrew, Daniel
Corwin, Jonathan, 1640-1718
Farrington, George P.
Frisbee, Frank H.
Upton, Jesse F.
Other Organizations
Upton & Frisbee
Descriptive Terms
American Colonial
commercial buildings
drugstores
exterior views
frame construction
gambrel roofs
pharmacists
rails (transit system elements)
storefronts
Material Type
photographs
photomechanical prints
Subjects
Architectural photography
Essex Street (Salem, Mass.)
North Street (Salem, Mass.)
Places
Salem (Essex county, Massachusetts)
Places (Buildings)
Witch House (Salem, Mass.)
Location Note
Geo.: Large: Massachusetts - Salem - Witch-Corwin Hse (Roger Williams) - 310 1/2 Essex St - Photomechanical

Browse Collection

Use the links below to browse up and down the collection hierarchy from the current record.

Comments