Skip to content

Search Collections

Exterior view of the Old Witch / Corwin House, North and Essex Sts., Salem

PC001.03.01.TMP.051 (RS141)

Description

This exterior view shows the gabled front façade of the Jonathan Corwin House, also known as the Witch House, at 310 1/2 Essex Street in Salem, Massachusetts. A car is parked at a meter in front of the house, and another car is parked in a driveway next to the house. Jonathan Corwin served as a magistrate and judge during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. Boston architects Gordon Robb and Frank Chouteau Brown led the restoration of the house which Historic Salem, Inc. started in 1945.

You can find this within:

Details

Collection Name
General photographic collection
Collection Code
PC001
Date Notes
1940s-1950s
Physical Description
1 photograph
Collection Type
Photographs
Description Level
Item
Additional Identification Number
DigitalID: 000141
AccessID: 362
Other identifier: HNEDID-000141
GUSN
195048
Reference Code
PC001.03.01.TMP.051

Record details

Other People
Andrew, Daniel
Brown, Frank Chouteau, 1876-1947
Corwin, Jonathan, 1640-1718
Robb, Gordon
Descriptive Terms
American Colonial
automobiles
exterior views
façades
frame construction
front (positional attribute)
gable roofs
historic house museums (buildings)
jetties (building divisions)
restoration (process)
single-family dwellings
Material Type
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs
Subjects
Architectural photography
Essex Street (Salem, Mass.)
North Street (Salem, Mass.)
Places
Salem (Essex county, Massachusetts)
Places (Buildings)
Witch House (Salem, Mass.)
Location Note
Geo.: Small: Mass.: Salem: Witch House

Browse Collection

Use the links below to browse up and down the collection hierarchy from the current record.

Comments