George A. Clough architectural collection
The George A. Clough architectural collection represents a mix of municipal and private commissions. The majority of the commissions were for structures in Massachusetts with a few buildings designed for towns in Maine. The collection includes architectural drawings for public buildings, such as English High School and the Suffolk County Court House, both in Boston. Clough's private clients included the following: L. Lutz (Dedham, Massachusetts); Frederic Parker (New Bedford, Massachusetts); J. J. Rust (Magnolia, Massachusetts); Emily Talbot (location unknown); J. C. Tucker (Dorchester, Massachusetts).
- Collection Name
- George A. Clough architectural collection
- Collection Code
- Date Notes
- Acquisition Type
- Physical Description
- Finding Aid Info
Paper finding aid available in the Library and Archives.
- Collection Type
- Architectural and Cartographic Materials
- Description Level
- Custodial History
This collection was donated to Historic New England (then the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities) by Brad Emerson. He obtained the collection form a sale lot in Blue Hill, Maine, where Clough summered. The materials evidently came from Clough's summer home, which suggests that he retained the work personally rather than depositing the work with a municipal office; the reasons for this are unknown. It is also known that other works by Clough exist in Maine, although the whereabouts and availability of these materials are unknown. (The information regarding the custodial history of this collection was given to Historic New England in 1986 by Earle Shettleworth of the Maine State Historic Preservation Commission.)
- Credit Line
- Gift of Brad Emerson.
- Reference Code
George Albert Clough was born on May 27, 1843 in Blue Hill, Maine. He worked with his father as a draftsman in a shipyard. In March, 1863, he moved to Boston and began studying architecture in the office of George Snell. He worked there until 1869 when he started his own practice. Clough became the first Architect of the City of Boston in 1873 and served until 1883. He designed many types of buildings, including schools, courthouses, and hospitals. He died on December 29, 1910, in Brookline, Massachusetts.
The Boston Globe (Jan. 1, 1911).
The Boston Globe (Aug. 25, 1901).
Withey, Henry F. and Elsie Rathburn Withey. "Biographical Dictionary of American Architects (Deceased)." Los Angeles: Hennessey & Ingalls (1970): 127.
Material in other collections
Ed Phelan of the Boston City Sewer Department is said to hold Clough's plans for the Pumping Station.
Additional works by Clough may exist in Maine, but their whereabouts and availability are unknown.
Clough, George A., 1843-1910 (Architect)
- Descriptive Terms
high schools (buildings)
- Material Type
architectural drawings (visual works)
Magnolia (Gloucester, Mass.)
Dedham (Norfolk county, Massachusetts)
Maine (United States)
New Bedford (Bristol county, Massachusetts)
Dorchester (Boston, Suffolk county, Massachusetts) [neighborhood]
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
- Places (Buildings)
English High School
Suffolk County Courthouse (Boston, Mass.)
This collection is available for research. It is stored off-site, so arrangements for use must be made in advance.
- Related Items
Views of Massachusetts and Vermont (Photograph album #146) — This photo album includes images of some of the buildings designed by Clough.
- Language Note
This collection is entirely in English.
- Preferred Citation
[Item identification]. George A. Clough architectural collection (AR005). Historic New England, Library & Archive.
- Processing Information
This finding aid was was created by Frieda Cohen, 1984, with the support of funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities. It was updated by Historic New England Staff in 2009, and it was updated by Abigail Cramer, May, 2013.
- Rules and Conventions
This finding aid is DACS-compliant.