Skip to content

Search Collections

Ship "Eliza" of Salem

2006.44.1071 (RS86700)


Framed watercolor of a ship on the water. There are ten people aboard the ship. Eighteen sails are unfurled and one is furled. A green rowboat is hanging off the stern as well as an American flag. The front mast has a blue and white pennant and the middle mast has a red and blue flag with white stars. To the left in the background is a ship and to the right is another ship and a walled town.


"Ship 'Eliza' of Salem. / Owned by Stephen and Stephen C. Phillips. 262 tons / Built at Salem in 1817. Charged to a barque in 1838. / Condemned at Tahiti in 1843." (handwritten)
"Ship 'Eliza' of Salem. / Copy, of the original painting presented by W.P. Phillips / to the Essex Institute, made by M. Mc Pherson in 1902. / showing the 'Eliza' in Leghorn in 1821. (Fine picture.) / Registered at Salem Custom House as follows: - / Oct. 20 1817 Stephen Phillips owner. Wm. Osgood master. / Feb 28. 1832. " " " Geo. Pierce " / Nov. 20. 1838. as barque. S.C. Phillips & J. W. Cheever / owners. W.C. Radcliffe master. / 262 tons. 94.2 ft. long. 25.1 ft. wide 12.6 ft. deep in hold. / The 'Eliza' was built in Salem in 1817. for Stephen / Phillips, to replace his ship 'Union' lost early in that year. / Her first voyage was to Siam for sugar, being the first Salem / vessel to visit that country. She made eight / voyages to the East, some of which were double voyages, until / 1838 she was altered to a bark and sent on two / whaling voyages to the Pacific. / June 30. 1843. she was condemned at Tahiti. / A similar copy by Mr. McPherson and a photograph / of the original picture are in the Marine Hall in Salem. / Nov. 1902. Stephen W. Phillips." (handwritten)
Associated Building
Original to Phillips House (Salem, Mass.).
paper (fiber product)
watercolor (paint)
wood (plant material)
Object type
Descriptive terms
paper (fiber product)
watercolor (paint)
watercolors (paintings)
wood (plant material)
21 3/16 x 28 3/16 x 1 2/16 (HxWxD) (inches)
Accession Number
Credit Line
Gift of the Stephen Phillips Memorial Charitable Trust for Historic Preservation