Skip to content

Search Collections

Club

2006.44.1198 (RS101908)

Description

Maori (New Zealand/Aotearoa) wooden staff/club known as taiaha, flattened and wide at one end and the other with a carved face and tongue. The pointed end takes the form of a decorated tongue projecting from the open mouth of a stylized head, carved on both sides. The eyes of the head are inlaid with shell. The taiaha was used in hand-to-hand combat, and are still used in mau taiaha, an ancient form of stick fighting.

Details

Maker
unknown
Date
19th century
Location of origin
Pacific Island Group
Associated Building
Original to Phillips House (Salem, Mass.).
Material
shell (animal material)
wood (plant material)
Object type
Armament -- Bludgeon
Places
New Zealand
Descriptive terms
Club
clubs (weapons)
Maori
shell (animal material)
wood (plant material)
Dimensions
49 3/8 x 2 1/2 x 1 3/4 (HxWxD) (inches)
Accession Number
2006.44.1198
Credit Line
Gift of the Stephen Phillips Memorial Charitable Trust for Historic Preservation
GUSN
170906
Reference Notes
http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/objectdetails.aspx?oid=132774

Comments