Skip to content

Search Collections

Framed Cogswell's Grant Sign

Description

A rectangular, vertical format sign. It is painted white with black molding on two lateral edges, with white ground with black letters, on two separate boards.

Details

Maker
unknown
Date
1880-1920
Inscriptions
In black paint overall in lines on the board face is written: "House built in 1687 by Cap. Jonathan Cogswell/owned in Cogswell Family until 1839. Col./Jonathan Cogswell last owner of that name/on committee of correspondence and inspection/in Revolutionary period. Held other prominent/positions, was Major then Colonel in Revolution./Voted for adoption of Constitution of United/States. Married Elizabeth Wise grand-/daughter of Rev. John Wise./This farm part of great tract of land granted/to first settler of that name John Cogswell 1635. [appears to bear letters made with four stencils, all slightly different]
Associated Building
Original to Cogswell's Grant (Essex, Mass.).
Material
oil paint (paint)
stenciling
wood (plant material)
Object type
Building Component
Places
Essex (Essex county, Massachusetts)
Massachusetts (United States)
Descriptive terms
Commemorative
commemoratives
Historic House
local history (discipline)
Oil Paint
oil paint (paint)
Plaque, Date
plaques (flat objects)
stenciling
wood (plant material)
People and organizations
Capt. Jonathan Cogswell
Cogswell Family
Col. Jonathan Cogswell
Mr. John Cogswell
Mrs. Elizabeth Wise Cogswell
Dimensions
22 x 25 (HxW) (inches)
Accession Number
1991.1659
Credit Line
Gift of Bertram K. and Nina Fletcher Little
GUSN
11312

Comments