Tinderbox with Flint and Starter
Sterling silver rectangular tinderbox with attached striker containing a piece of flint, engraved with the initials "HC"; stored within cotton bag with a piece of orange rope.
Bixby Silver Co. (Manufacturer)
Engraved on Front: "HC" Hallmark on inside cover: "BIXBY SILVER CO / STERLING" (Engraved and Hallmark)
- Location of origin
- Providence, RI
- Associated Building
- Original to Codman House (Lincoln, Mass.).
- Object type
- Temperature Control Equipment; Heating Equipment Accessories
- Descriptive terms
- 3/8 x 1 7/8 x 1 1/2 (HxWxD) (inches)
- Accession Number
- Credit Line
- Bequest of Dorothy S.F.M. Codman
- Reference Notes
- Rainwater, Dorothy T. and Judy Redfield, "Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers," 4th Edition (1998): 48. For more information on the Codman estate see the entire issue of "Old Time New England" 71, no. 258 (1981).