Roof work begins at the Cooper-Frost-Austin House
Historic New England has begun replacing the wood-shingle roof at the Cooper-Frost-Austin House in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Built in 1681 with an addition constructed circa 1722, the Cooper-Frost-Austin House is the oldest extant structure in Cambridge. Typical of many seventeenth-century structures, the house is defined by its distinctive roofline, consisting of a short, steep pitch on the front elevation, with a long sloping portion incorporating a lean-to on the rear elevation.
Roofers have removed the wood shingles and all associated flashing material from the rear elevation in preparation for the new roof. The existing wood gutters have been lined with copper, replacing the existing in kind. Masons are working on the center chimney, and new shingles have been milled from highly durable Alaskan yellow cedar.
Support for this project came from the Cambridge Historic Commission, a major gift from a generous individual donor in the neighborhood, and the Preservation Maintenance Fund. To support this and other preservation projects, please consider contributing to the Preservation Maintenance Fund.