Restoring the barn at Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm
May 3, 2011
Visitors to Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm in Newbury, Mass., will notice staging on the north side of the c. 1775 main barn, as roofers have removed the shingles and begun replacing the roof.
During shingle removal, contractors analyzed the plywood sheathing and, if necessary, replaced it with material that matched the original. Carpenters also installed fifteen new purlins, or horizontal support members, within the roof structure. These new purlins augment the original hand-hewn members and help restore rigidity to the structure.
Carpenters then repaired structural timbers, retaining the maximum amount of historic fabric while using traditional timber repair methods, and are fabricating new timbers to repair deteriorating sills by matching the dimension and joinery of the originals. Installation will continue over the next few weeks.
Check back for additional updates throughout the spring as painters arrive to scrape, prime, and repaint the 120-foot barn.