Historic New England awards six preservation grants throughout the region
April 26, 2011
Historic New England launched its Community Preservation Grants program with awards of $1,000 grants to an Affiliate member in each of the six New England states.
Community Preservation Grants were awarded to:
• The Mattatuck Museum Arts & History Center in Waterbury, Connecticut, to support the conservation of James H. Beard’s painting “Cattle on Elton Farm,” which depicts a local scene.
• Wilson Museum in Castine, Maine, to purchase a scanner and archival sleeves to ensure the preservation of and increase accessibility to a rich collection of archival material of the history of Castine and the founders of the museum.
• Royall House and Slave Quarters in Medford, Massachusetts, to support the restoration of an important folk art statue and lawn roller for display in the permanent exhibition Learning from the Landscape.
• Historical Society of Cheshire County in Keene, New Hampshire, to support reorganization and improvements to artifact storage to ensure preservation of the collection and allow easier access for research and educational purposes.
• Friends of Hearthside in Lincoln, Rhode Island, to preserve an important collection of early twentieth-century hand-colored photographs by digitizing the collection and allowing broader public use in publications, exhibitions, and websites.
• Hildene, the Lincoln Family Home in Manchester, Vermont, to purchase archival shelving and cabinets to ensure the continued preservation and accessibility of Lincoln family papers and objects in the collection.
When founding Historic New England in 1910, William Sumner Appleton conceived of "state accounts" to support preservation projects in each state. The Community Preservation grants carry on this tradition and allow Historic New England to work with organizations on preservation projects that benefit the entire region. Historic New England staff will present the grants to the organizations throughout May.