Eighteenth-century lean-to roofline uncovered at Cogswell's Grant
May 23, 2010
One of the Preservation Maintenance Fund projects at Cogswell's Grant this spring is repair of the shingles on the east wall of the rear ell. The removal of the shingles uncovered architectural evidence about the early house. The diagonal line leading from the upper left to the lower right of the photo is the roofline of an early lean-to, perhaps part of the original 1728 half-house, or possibly added in the middle of the eighteenth century when the house was expanded.
The low placement of the second-story window and a ceiling beam in the ell were already clues that a lean-to existed before the ell was expanded in the nineteenth century, but it is exciting to see that the early beveled sheathing and wrought nails still survive and that later sheathing was simply added and replaced around the original roofline.