Internships at Historic New England
Historic New England offers internships to graduate and undergraduate students pursuing degrees in American studies, American history, museum studies, arts administration, preservation studies, art and architectural history, library and information science, and related fields. Interns have the opportunity to work with Historic New England’s extraordinary and rich collection of historic structures and landscapes, archival collections of photographs, architectural drawings, and ephemera, and material culture collections.
Internships are available in a broad range
of disciplines including:
- Library and Archives
- Collections Management
- Development and Membership
- Historic Preservation
- Public Relations
Recent internship projects have included:
- Cataloguing archival materials and material culture collections
- Creating finding aids and conducting research
- Digitizing historic photographs and documents
- Photographing objects
- Assisting with basic collections care tasks
- Developing interpretive tours
- Working with preservation carpentry staff
- Assisting with development and fundraising research
Internships are based at the following locations:
- Otis House, Boston, Mass.: Library and Archives, Marketing/Public Relations, Retail Operations, Research, Exhibitions, Education, Interpretation, Development, and Membership
- Haverhill, Mass., collections facility (with convenient access to commuter rail transportation): Curatorial, Exhibitions, and Collections Management
- Lyman Estate, Waltham, Mass.: Functions, Property Care, Historic Preservation, and Stewardship
- Internship positions are occasionally available at some of our historic sites, most of which are open seasonally. Please inquire if you are interested in a specific historic site.
A minimum commitment of eight hours per week during regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:00 to 5:00 p.m.) is required. Most interns work between ten and twenty hours per week and schedules are flexible. All internships are unpaid but may be completed for course credit.
To apply for all internships, download our application and send it to Internships@HistoricNewEngland.org.