Historic New England protects Peabody-Williams House
Newton, Mass. – August 2015 – Historic New England is pleased to announce that Peabody-Williams House in Newton, Massachusetts, is the ninety-seventh property protected through its Preservation Easement Program.
Peabody-Williams House was designed by Boston architect J. Williams Beal (1855-1919) and constructed in 1891. The building retains its original character and is an important example of Shingle-style architecture, materials, and workmanship in Massachusetts. Inside the house, wood carvings and built-in cabinetry are the work of Andrew Lees (1844-1937), whose daughter, Mabel Lees Williams, occupied the property from the early 1900s until her death in the 1950s. The easement protects other interior features including stained and leaded glass windows, mirrors, some window hardware, and ceiling light fixtures. In addition, the stones at the fern garden south of the house, granite steps leading to the street south of the house, and other landscape features may not be altered without prior approval. The easement also protects the property against subdivision.
Peabody-Williams House was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. Diana Korzenik, a longtime member and supporter, is the property owner who donated the preservation easement to Historic New England.
About Historic New England’s Preservation Easement Program
The program administers easements held by Historic New England, which protect privately owned historic properties across New England. The program creates partnerships between property owners and Historic New England with the shared goal of preserving a property's historic character. By donating an easement, an owner entrusts Historic New England with the responsibility of working with present and future owners to protect important historic elements from alteration or neglect. For more information contact Supervising Preservation Services Manager Joseph Cornish at 617-994-6643 or email@example.com.