Historic New England protects Captain Nathaniel Stevens House
NORTH ANDOVER, MASS. – Historic New England is pleased to announce that the 1846 Captain Nathaniel Stevens House in North Andover, Massachusetts, is the ninety-second property protected through its Stewardship Easement Program.
The Captain Nathaniel Stevens House is an impressive Greek Revival style home constructed in 1846 for Captain Nathaniel Stevens (1786-1865) and his wife, Harriet Hale Stevens (1794-1882). Stevens was a textile manufacturer who opened the Stevens Mill in 1813. In 1850 his son, Moses T. Stevens (1825-1907) became a partner in his business which was renamed Nathaniel Stevens and Sons. The current owner, Robert Stevens, is a direct descendant and has owned the property since 1985.
This easement protects approximately three acres of land; the exterior of the house; important interior features, such as woodwork, mantelpieces, door hardware, and flooring; as well as an attached carriage shed and barn.
The property is in the North Andover Center National Register Historic District and the local North Andover Historic District, but lacked interior protection. This is the third property in North Andover protected through the Stewardship Easement Program, The other properties are the Reverend Bailey Loring House and the Field-Hodges House.