Historic New England protects Captain Andrew Fuller House
Middleton, Mass. – April 2015 – Historic New England is pleased to announce that the c. 1750 Captain Andrew Fuller House in Middleton, Massachusetts, is the ninety-sixth property protected through its Preservation Easement Program.
The house retains many Georgian features, including its center entrance plan with wide center chimney, paneling, softwood floors, fireplaces, and wrought iron door and window hardware, all of which are protected by the restrictions. The easement also protects the exterior of the house and stone walls.
This house was constructed by Captain Andrew Fuller, who fought in the French and Indian War. His sons John and David, who were born in the house, fought in the Revolutionary War. The house was owned by Reverend Ebenezer Hubbard from 1816 to 1828, and by Daniel Richardson and his descendants from 1834 to 1951. In 1951 it was purchased by Charles Hadley Watkins and Lura Woodside Watkins, who had it restored under the direction of restoration contractor Roy W. Baker in 1952. The Watkinses were antiquarians and avid collectors. Their son, C. Malcolm Watkins, a historian and curator of American decorative arts, served as the head curator at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. When his wife, Joan Pearson Watkins, a ceramist and historic preservationist, died in 1913, many Watkins items in the house were divided between area museums including Old Sturbridge Village, Peabody Essex Museum, Fuller Craft Museum, and Historic New England. Historic New England also acquired the Watkins family papers, an extensive collection that provides in-depth documentation of this remarkable family.
About Historic New England’s Preservation Easement Program
The program administers easements held by Historic New England, which protect privately owned historic properties across New England. The program creates partnerships between property owners and Historic New England with the shared goal of preserving a property's historic character. By donating an easement, an owner entrusts Historic New England with the responsibility of working with present and future owners to protect important historic elements from alteration or neglect.