Historic New England protects Byrd-Lapham House
MARSHFIELD, MASS. – Historic New England is pleased to announce that the Byrd-Lapham House in Marshfield, Massachusetts, is the ninety-first property protected through its Stewardship Easement Program.
The Byrd-Lapham House is located in a section of Marshfield that was part of Scituate from 1640 to 1788. Physical evidence suggests that the house was constructed by 1730. The house was expanded and the shed and barn were constructed during the early nineteenth century by Adam Lapham, a blacksmith and the fourth generation of the family to own the property. His daughter, Mary Williams Lapham, who was living at the house by 1855, constructed the cider mill on the property, and her son, George Millard Ramsdell, was the last Lapham descendent to own the house. During the twentieth century, the property changed owners several times. It was purchased by William and Dorothy Miller in 1931, who undertook the Colonial Revival renovations and converted the cider mill into a summer house. Long-time members of Historic New England, Mr. and Mrs. Wendell R. Carr Jr., have owned the property since 1992.
The main block of the house is two stories with a five-bay façade and hip roof. Intact features, including paneling and carved woodwork, represent both Georgian and Federal styles. The property includes approximately three acres with an early nineteenth-century shed complex and an early twentieth-century cider mill, which was converted into a guest cottage in the early 1990s. The grounds are significant and include intact Colonial Revival garden planting beds and other designed landscape features. The easement protects the site, the exterior of the structure, important interior features such as the woodwork, mantelpieces, door hardware, and flooring, as well as the shed complex and cider mill.
Media Contact: Susanna M. Crampton