Skip to content


Home > About Us > Press and Media > News Releases > Expired Releases > Historic New England awards seven preservation grants throughout the region

Historic New England awards seven preservation grants throughout the region

Wilson Museum
2011 grant awardee Wilson Museum Archivist Paige Lilly shows an archival photo to reporter Colin Powell and Historic New England Team Leader for Preservation Services Jess Phelps.

Historic New England presents its second annual Community Preservation Grants program with awards of $1,000 grants to preservation organizations in each of the New England states.

Community Preservation Grants were awarded to:

  • The Mattatuck Museum Arts & History Center in Waterbury, Connecticut, to clean paintings to be included in an upcoming exhibition Art for Everyone: the WPA in Connecticut that highlights paintings, murals, and sculptures that were given to public institutions throughout the state through the Depression-era Works Progress Administration artists project.
  • The Kennebec Historical Society in Augusta, Maine, to further pay down the mortgage on the Henry Weld Fuller House. Established in 1891, KHS uses the Greek Revival residence located in a National Register Historic District as its headquarters, and recently raised funds to pay off the major portion of the debt on the historic property.
  • The Westport Historical Society in Westport, Massachusetts, to support Phase II of archaeological testing for the protection of historic resources at the Cadman-White-Handy House, which was built c. 1715 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
  • The Exeter Theater Company in Exeter, New Hampshire, to support the renovation of the historic Ioka Theater as a community cultural center presenting programs that create excitement, pride, and support in Exeter and the greater New Hampshire Seacoast.
  • Friends of Hearthside, Inc., in Lincoln, Rhode Island, to support the installation of a new exhibition about the Talbot looms, some of the original looms used to create some of the country's finest fabrics at Hearthside 100 years ago.
  • Hildene, in Manchester, Vermont, to document the concluding exhibition The American Ideal for continued educational use where students learn how the Civil War and President Lincoln brought meaning to the promise of the American ideal of equality, justice, and opportunity for all.
  • Henry Sheldon Museum in Middlebury, Vermont, to support the exhibition Take Me to the Fair: An Addison County Tradition that celebrates the rich history of the Addison County Fair and how it has reflected the importance of agriculture for more than one hundred years.

The Community Preservation Grants are awarded annually. They began as a program exclusively for Affiliate Member organizations, and expanded for 2012 to include other organizations carrying out programs allied with the preservation and education mission of Historic New England.

About the Community Preservation Grant program Historic New England founder and preservation pioneer William Sumner Appleton believed in working closely with local and statewide organizations to achieve mutual preservation goals. The grant program has its origins in the founding of the organization one hundred two years ago. Appleton operated a "State Accounts" program that returned to a local preservation project a small portion of membership dues received from each of the New England states. The spirit of regional cooperation that this program represented remains consistent with our goals today. Historic New England is working to build a strong network of regional partners committed to the cause of heritage preservation.


Historic New England awards seven preservation grants throughout the region